I just broke 300 platinum this week, and thought I’d finally take the time away from Rift to post a bit more in depths about my big plat maker, artifacts! I only started collecting artifacts because of the vanity items you can purchase with the Lucky Coins you get for turning in sets. I have my eye on the Shiny Tartagon mount, which is a white version of the CE two-headed turtle mount, and am only 12 coins away now. Getting this mount will save me the 125 platinum it would have cost at level 50 to get an epic mount, which is also nice!
The thing with hunting artifacts is that you find A LOT of them that you already have. Artifacts have set spawn points in each zone, and if you’re always hitting up the same spawn points, I find you end up with a lot of the same artifacts, but that could just be me. You might think searching for artifacts would be a boring pass time, but it’s kind of like a huge sparkly Easter egg hunt! Sure the spawn points are always the same, but there are hundreds, maybe thousands of spawn points, so I’m always discovering new ones, even in well explored areas. I thought I’d share a few artifact hunting pointers in case any of you are looking for ways to bring in the plat and want to give it a try!
- Roll a High Elf or Bahmi! The Angelic Flight and Mighty Leap racials will save you some serious headaches when getting to those hard to reach artifacts.
- Look behind it! No matter what you see, a rock, a tree, a building, check around the other side! Usually you’ll find yourself an artifact.
- Look up! There are artifacts in the trees, on top of structures, tucked into niches you can only just reach, so don’t keep your eyes glued to the ground.
- If you see trees, you can probably reach them somehow, and there will be artifacts around their base!
- Go down the mountain! Anytime you’re running along the crest of a mountain range, remember that if you see what looks like giant stairs down the side, each of those steps could have a couple artifacts on them! I have found SO MANY on the ledges surrounding Silverwood, so make sure you check! You can always climb back up to the top later.
- Go to your opposite faction’s zones! You can still turn in sets of artifacts you collect even if they aren’t from one of your faction’s zones. Sure if you play on a PvP server it might be dangerous, but just think of how much you can sell those artifacts for in your auction house!
- Some artifacts are needed for 2 sets! Remember to use these if you need them the second time, or post them for a little more in the auction house!
- Check the Auction House for rares! Players who aren’t interested in artifacts are always posting rares for far too cheap. If you find one posted for less than 5 plat that isn’t from an invasion (it will say so in the tooltip) buy it out and repost it!
- Don’t leave it behind! Even if an artifact is giving you trouble, remember that the harder it is to get, the more likely it is to be a rare!
- Make artifact allies, not enemies! It’s important to remember the players selling the most artifacts are usually the players buying the most artifacts. So if you’re undercutting someone, maybe do it by more than just a silver (because there are no addons, nothing makes me angrier at a fellow Antiquarian than seeing they’ve undercut me by 1 silver. I won’t even bother canceling auctions to repost unless I notice I’ve been undercut by a silver, and then I go out of my way to undercut that player as often as possible no matter what they’re selling and won’t buy their artifacts, even if they are 1 silver cheaper than the rest.) Or if you notice two of you seem to be farming the same zone, talk to the player and see if there are certain days they post, so that you can post on the opposite days, or find out which zones they work in, and pick zones they don’t have covered (level permitting).Giving discounts to players you recognize who sell artifacts isn’t a bad idea either. They are going to find things you need and you are going to find things they need, so it can pay off to be nice!
- Most of all, don’t sell yourself short! You went out and got your hands dirty collecting those artifacts, you fell off cliffs, got stuck in crevices and maybe even got ganked by some high level Defiants (or Guardians), so if you have one that isn’t already in the Auction House, post it for a platinum! If someone wants it, they’ll pay that much! If you find and uncommon, post it for 2-3 platinum. If you find a rare, post it for 10-20 plat! Remember that the deposit is only a silver, so it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t sell the for the first few times, and chances are it will sell eventually!
In addition, I finished my farming map of Silverwood/Gloamwood that I wanted to share. I leave from Sanctum (sorry Defiants, it will be a long trek, but you’ll run into almost no guards if you stick to the black line) and start to find artifacts as soon as I reach the black line. I zigzag into the hills above Moonshade Highlands and usually head down the hill by Palisade in Silverwood to check there, but other than that I just look on ledges and under trees and on peaks. There is a lake in the hills just southwest of Gloamwood Pines in which you’ll usually find an artifact, and a cave along the road leading north toward Iron Pine Peak where an artifact likes to hide behind the sparkly altar. When you leave the cave check around Loggerman’s Lift across the stream and there’s almost always one under the bridge there! Then head up the hill to Shadefallen Keep where there’s a bunch more!
My inventory is usually full of artifacts by the time I reach Shadefallen Keep, which is why my rout ends there. Sometimes I change things up by swinging into the Scarlet Gorge and heading down to Stonefield and Freemarch, or sometimes I stick to Silverwood and just do a few circles and check out Overwatch Keep just to keep things interesting. Rare artifacts seem to be very rare, so it always makes my day when I find one! I’m guessing they show up around once out of every 100 artifacts I find, which is why they sell so well and why I’m always so happy to find one! I hope that you find this information useful! I know it seems like a strange thing to focus on in this new shiny game, but I’m having a lot of fun and making a lot of plat!
Thanks for Reading!
Miss Mediocre <3